Alexis Salgado is a Cuban American singer that hails from Miami, Florida. Alexis began singing at the age of three. At the age of 8, Alexis started to write her own songs. It was then her parents knew she would become a singer and got her singing lessons. Alexis has been seen and heard singing for several years in school concerts, churches and Educational School Assembly Programs across the country. In 2011, Alexis was signed to a recording contract by label president, Rod Carrillo, to Carrillo Music. Since then Alexis has been busy doing shows around the country. Her first release with Liam Keegan “Never Knew” got International attention. In 2013 she released her solo track “I Need You”. Currently she has “Take A Ride” – Alexis Salgado & Izzar James on rotation, which will be followed up by “Bang Bang” – Matt Fox & Alexis Salgado (Eddie Amador club mix).
- How long have you been in the music business and how did you get started in the first place?
Alexis Salgado: Music & singing have always been a part of my life. I was told that I started whistling when I was 1 year old and as soon as I could start speaking I started to sing. I’m what many consider to be a late bloomer. I’ve been in the music business for 5 years. I started at a very young age.
- Who were your first musical influences that you can remember?
Alexis Salgado: I grew up listening to the music of Christina Aguilera. She’s amazing. Soon, I began singing along with her while listening to her tracks. That’s when I started to explore other artists and vocalists like Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, Etta James, Anita Baker, and many more. My grandparents had a huge impact on me. My grandfather is a famous pianist (Jorge Vernieri) from the Broadway spectacular (Forever Tango) and my grandmother (Isabel) sang growing up.
- Which artists are you currently listening to?
Alexis Salgado: At the moment, I find myself listening to Bo Saris, Fleetwood Mac, The Weeknd, Tupac, Ellie Goulding, Maysa, Fetty Wap, Imogen Heap, Justin Bieber, Demi Lovato, the list goes on.
- Have you suffered any ‘resistance’ from within the industry, and if so how have you handled that, and how do you handle criticism and haters in general?
Alexis Salgado: There’s definitely been moments where I’ve had setbacks and I’ve questioned certain situations. But, I’m a strong believer that everything happens for a reason. As far as criticism and haters. I don’t pay much attention to them. I have a very supportive family and a fan base who overpower all the negativity.
- What are your thoughts on visual media? Do think that video is an appropriate marketing tool for your music, and where can fans find your videos?
Alexis Salgado: Absolutely, personally speaking I’m the type of person that plays a song and starts visualizing in my head how the scenes would go in a music video. I get inspiration from the visualization of ideas.. I’m sure there are people out there that do the same. You can find my music available on iTunes, YouTube, Beatport, Spotify, Traxsource, and Amazon.
- Which do you ultimately prefer? Entertaining a live audience or creating songs in a studio setting?
Alexis Salgado: Oh, that’s quite difficult to choose. I love being on stage because, I can connect more physically and emotionally with my audience. But, there’s something about being in the studio that allows me to experiment and takes me to a whole other level.
- Tell us something about your lyrics and music production on your releases. Which part of these processes do you handle, and which do you outsource generally?
Alexis Salgado: When it comes to my lyrics, most if not all of my songs I write. As far as music productions that’s handled by my management team ( Salgado Entertainment ) and Record Label ( Carrillo Music ) as well as myself.
8. What is the title of your latest music release and where can fans find it?
Alexis Salgado: My new single, “Take A Ride” features the very talented DJ/Producer Izarr James. The single came out a few weeks ago. It’s fresh with a good -vibe-summer feel to it. “Take a Ride” can be found on iTunes, Beatport, Spotify, and Traxsource.
- Which ingredient do you think makes you special and unique as a performing artist in a genre thriving with newcomers?
Alexis Salgado: I like to consider myself very natural when I perform. I love having that raw, authentic style. I always sing live, not that I have anything against lip syncing. I just genuinely enjoy singing.
- If you were forced to choose only one, which emotion, more than any other drives you to be a part of this tough business. Is it joy, anger, desire, passion or pride and why?
Alexis Salgado: Passion. Since, I was 2 years old all I ever wanted to do was sing. I’ve never wanted to do anything else in my life.
- Which aspect of being an independent artist and the music making process excites you most and which aspect discourages you most?
Alexis Salgado: The part that excites me the most is creating music as an independent artist. When it comes to what I want to say as an artist, I’m able to openly express myself in recording sessions and performing live. I have a great record label ( Carrillo Music ) , a great management team ( Salgado Entertainment ), and my father as my Manager ( Doc Salgado ). I’ve learned so much about being a “Businessman” in my case “Businesswoman”. The part that discourages me most is the fact that I am an Independent Artist because I don’t really have the benefits that most singers from major labels get. I constantly have to prove myself as an artist not only to myself but, to my fans that I’m actually worthy.
- How and when did you get signed to Carrillo Music?
Alexis Salgado: At the beginning of 2011, I remember going to meet Mr. Rod Carrillo (President of Carrillo Music) alongside my Manager ( Doc Salgado ). Rod ‘heard my demo tape which was given to him by the awesome DJ / Producer Peter Barona from Los Angeles. And before our meeting was over. Rod asked me if I wanted to join the team at Carrillo Music and that I would be singing “Never Knew “ as a feature alongside the talented DJ/ producer Liam Keegan , which is a remake of Stephanie Mills “ Never Knew Love Like This Before” and of course, I said yes! . If you ask Rod about his first impression of me, he’ll probably say super, super shy ha-ha.
- How do you achieve your sound? Do you work from a private recording environment or do you use a commercial sound studio?
Alexis Salgado: I’ve worked in both private and commercial setting studios. I mostly record in private recording environmental studios. I love that home feeling.
- The best piece of advice in this business you actually followed so far, and one you didn’t follow, but now know for sure that you should have?
Alexis Salgado: Always put God above all and stay humble! And as far as advice that I’ve never followed. I don’t really have any. As I mentioned before everything happens for a reason.
- What are your thoughts on talent shows like American Idol, The Voice and the X-Factor etc. Is this something you would consider doing?
Alexis Salgado: 5 years ago I would have said yes. I was actually going to audition for the X-Factor right before getting signed. Now, I probably wouldn’t.
- Do you consider Internet and all the social media websites, as fundamental to your career, and independent music in general?
Alexis Salgado: Yes, the internet is a vortex that helps you discover new/ cool things, people, etc. The internet is a huge part of the music business.
- If someone who has never heard of you which keywords would you personally use to describe your overall sound and style?
Alexis Salgado: Soulful Pop mixed with House / EDM base and I like to describe my style as Edgy Boho Chic, depending on my mood and the season change.
- If you had the choice which artist from the past present or future, would you love to sing a duet with?
Alexis Salgado: This for me is a no brainer! Justin Timberlake, hands down! He’s so talented and it would be a dream come true!
- As you work your way through your career which more than any other fires-up your imagination – A Grammy award, Platinum music sales or any other tangible milestone?
Alexis Salgado: All those sound wonderful! One day I would love to have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame and tell my future children “Hey, did you know you have the coolest mom ever. I have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame!” that and also to have as many awards as possible under my belt.
- What is the ONE thing you are NOT willing or prepared to do EVER, in your quest to achieve a successful musical career?
Alexis Salgado: I am NOT willing to sell my soul!