American singer Nicky has released her latest single on Phoenix Records. Her much anticipated single entitled, “ON MY OWN,” is available via all digital channels as of now. The single was composed by Multi-award winning composer Emine Sari, produced by Cihat Atlig, with vocal production and engineering by Multi-platinum winning engineer Joel Evenden. “ON MY OWN” showcases Nicky’s strength, both vocally and emotionally, as she performs her bold, unapologetic lyrics. She uses her music to tell stories and to capture the true emotion behind the music. Inspired by artists such as Ella Fitzgerald and Whitney Houston, Nicky also draws influences from contemporary artists such as Beyoncé. The single, just released, is already receiving praise by some of the biggest names in the recording industry. Nothing But You, Nicky gave us some insight into the doings of her craft in a recent interview.
- How long has the project Nothing But You, Nicky been going and how did you decide on that specific moniker?
Nicky: My debut album was released in January 2017 as Nothing But You so it has been 10 months. We wanted a name that is memorable and can help establish my personal brand. So we created a name that is related to the genre or culture we wish to be identified with. “Nothing But You” is all human being’s dream…Everyone needs LOVE! We chose a stage name that actually means something to me! Nothing But YOU! Also “Nicky” comes from my own record company “Phoenix Records”.
- Who were your first musical influences that you can remember?
Nicky: Whitney Houston
- Which artists are you currently listening to?
Nicky: Nothing But You^^ , Lara Fabian, Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughan and HOT artists from Radio.
- What is your relationship with award-winning composer Emine Sari? And when did you decide to work on the single “On My Own”?
Nicky: My debut album “Meant to Be” released in January 2017 connected to Emine Sari naturally and quickly. Once we started to talk via SNS we became BEST friends as if we had known each other for a 100 years. Emine sent me “On My Own” this summer and the moment I first listened to this song I fell in love with it and a few hours later I sent my vocal file to her and we both loved what we did to this song together.
- Where did you do the recording and production work on the latest single?
Nicky: I have a Jazz pianist friend Shota Osabe who played all keyboards on my debut album “Meant to Be” and he owns his home studio in San Francisco California where my neighborhood is. Joel Evenden completed the Mix and Master in London.
- How and why did you specifically choose the producer Cihat Atlig as well as vocal engineer and producer Joel Evenden to work on this single?
Nicky: It’s all about Emine Sari. She collaborated with Cihat Atlig and Joel Evenden many times. According to Emine and my conversations, she knew the BEST combination of producer and engineer for me. Also, Cihat and Joel agreed to work with me as a team. Thank God!
- Who wrote the words and music to “On My Own”? And what is the core idea and meaning behind the song?
Nicky: Of course, Emine Sari wrote the words and music not only to “On My Own” but also all my original songs! As I mentioned Emine and I are best friend, we are talking everything “Girls talk” via SNS all the time. We went through almost all our life experiences: Love, heartbreak, business decisions, health issue, what to believe and who to trust…etc. We both believe in unconditional LOVE and we know Love conquers all. Love is not always about a man and a woman but also family, friends, people, animal, nature, and everything.
- Do you feel you delivered one of your best performances on this song, from a technical point of view? And if any, what were the major difficulties in interpreting the song exactly the way you wanted to?
Nicky: Yes, I gave all of myself in this song. I listened to my heart and sang this song, so sometimes I went with too many emotions…such as tears or shouted too loud. Emine just told me, “The melody, words and your voice tone are already describing your emotions so don’t think too much just be yourself and sing it!” So my major difficulties were gone after my best friend Emine’s advice.
- Could you describe the creative process on the basis of this musical piece? Where do the ideas come from, what do you start with and how do you go about shaping these ideas into a finished song, such as “On My Own”?
Nicky: Actually, I’m not writing songs but I always talk to my composer Emine about what’s on my mind and she understands, as if we are twin babies. I visited her in Turkey in May and I met Emine for the first time and she just started writing songs during my stay and after I came home she kept writing songs for a few months. We inspired each other a lot. I told her,” I would like to sing Big ballads like Whitney Houston, Celine Dion, and Lara Fabian…..” and she wrote me “On My Own”.
- What were your main performing challenges at the beginning of your career and how have they changed over time?
Nicky: I started to perform my live shows when I was a college student and all songs are English SOUL music in Tokyo Japan. At that time I couldn’t really enjoy what I was doing because everything was new to me but I learned gradually how to enjoy music with a band and audiences in Japan and America. It’s the greatest thing to share happiness through MUSIC.
- Are there any major differences between creating and releasing independent music in Japan as opposed to the USA and San Francisco where you are currently based?
Nicky: English is the Key! English made all works easier.
- How essential do you think video is in relation to your music? Is there a video of “On My Own” already released or in the works?
Nicky: I think the music video is really important and must have an item to promote your music but it’s the biggest problem for independent musicians, it costs you a fortune if you shoot your own professional video. My next dream is shooting my professional video! I’m super lucky to have beautiful “On My Own” lyric video! Enjoy!!
- What’s your view on the role and function of music as a political and/or social vehicle – and do you try to meet any of these goals in your work, or are you purely interested in music as an expression of artistry and entertainment?
Nicky: I have been enjoying music as my life, and music gave me a lot of courage to live not only through the good times but also the bad times. Now I’m ready to share my music to heal other people’s wounds and to be happy together. I don’t have any purpose being an artist as a political or social vehicle. When you listen to my music, it would start to tell you why I’m singing music with my feelings.
- With more and more musicians creating and releasing music in the age of technology, what does this mean for you as an artist in terms of originality? Do you still see great potential for originality and how do you think you set yourself apart from the pack, so to speak?
Nicky: The biggest difference with my new music is that it’s really celebrating the most important thing to me, which is my voice, I honestly feel like I’m coming into my own, to really want to be one of the singers that are remembered forever. To sing music that I don’t feel like anyone else can sing because it comes from a place that only I can sing from. I really appreciate being in the age of technology but I just want to be myself.
- Of all your achievements what do you think can be considered as being a high point of your so far?
Nicky: I think meeting new people from all over the world is the most exciting and greatest achievement ever! But I’m really proud of a five-star review on Huffington Post with exclusive music video premiere, On My Own, soared to Number 1 on iTunes’ Blues charts and being currently on DRT GLOBAL TOP #120 AIRPLAY CHARTS and Winning The Akademia Music Awards! …
- Do you consider Internet and all the social media in general, as fundamental to your career, and indie music in general, or do you think it has only produced a mass of mediocre “copy-and-paste” artists, who flood the web, making it difficult for real original talent to emerge?
Nicky: I only see a bright side of the Internet and all the social media in general, as fundamental to my career, and indie music in general. I think it’s all up to you how you live with those technologies. As long as you are doing your own music with using that technology in right way is the strongest help to open the door to move to the next stage of your dreams.
- What is the best piece of advice regarding the music business that you actually followed so far, and what is the advice you didn’t follow, but now know for sure that you should have?
Nicky: Believing in yourself with a strong will and never give up! Live on the edge, but don’t fall off! Never forget Respect, Appreciation, and Love!
- What has been the most difficult thing you’ve had to endure in your life or music so far? And how did you overcome this event or obstacle?
Nicky: Loss of a loved one. Never think you are alone…just close your eyes whenever you need your loved one and smile always.
- Do you have a musical vision that you haven’t yet been able to realize for technical or financial reasons?
Nicky: I would like to make my professional video for my songs!
- What is the next step being programmed on the Nothing But You, Nicky agenda? What can fans expect from you for 2018?
Nicky: My new album “I Love You On My Own” scheduled to go on to all digital platforms on April 6, 2018, which is Friday. My debut album “Meant to Be” released January 2017 which made my miraculous team (Multi award winning Turkish singer/songwriter Emine SARI, Multi-Platinum award winner London-based music engineer and producer Joel Evenden who has worked with legendary artists including Eric Clapton, Lara Fabian, Rod Stewart and BB King…, Turkish music producer Cihat Atlig and Super PR team) connected naturally and quickly. I’m so grateful to meet wonderful people and now we are making an incredible Album as ONE to share with you! Nice to meet you, everyone, ahead and let’s enjoy our life together with not only my music but also MUSIC!! Actually, you don’t need to wait that long… a lot of surprises are getting ready for you… soon!❤